Integrated Science @ IMSA
This uniquely IMSA program, combining two weeks of online learning followed by one week of engaging hands-on learning on campus in Aurora, explores the links between biology, chemistry, and physical science. Taught by IMSA faculty, participants delve into scientific topics including gas laws, osmosis/diffusion, and how water affects climate.
With a solid foundation from two weeks of online courses, students arrive at IMSA for a week of hands-on activities in our state-of-the-art laboratories. Students live in the residence halls, experiencing life at IMSA first hand as a student. At the conclusion of the program, students are presented with a Certificate of Completion.
This program is open to African American/Black, Latino, rural or low income students that have an interest and talent in STEM. Many program participants go on to apply and are accepted to IMSA’s three-year residential high school program.
The residential portion of this program is held at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, 1500 Sullivan Road, Aurora, and runs Monday through Friday, however students arrive on campus the Sunday evening prior at 6 pm.
Students must be entering 9th grade in fall 2017 and have completed a year of pre-algebra.
Summer 2017 is Almost Here!
We are gearing up for summer 2017 and we are so excited to have all of you!
As we get closer to the start of our programs, here is some information that might be helpful to you.
- The program day begins at 8:30 a.m. and runs to 3:00 p.m. Morning drop-off/check in begins at 8:15 a.m. – and concludes at 8:30 a.m. Do NOT drop your child off prior to 8:15, as there will be so supervision available before this time.
- Monday morning check-in: On the first day of the program, it is mandatory for parents to park and walk their participant to the summer program staff for first-day check-in. Your child will be assigned to a group leader who will be their same leader throughout the week.
- Lunch is included in the program fee and provided through our food service, Sodexho. They offer many options for students, including burgers, macaroni and cheese, a salad bar, fresh fruit, and many other items. You may choose to send your child with a sack lunch if you prefer. Please note: the cafeteria is NOT a peanut free environment.
- Pick up is promptly at 3:00 PM. We do not provide extended care. Please be timely and prompt with drop off and pick up for the best and safest experience for every participant. Our personnel need to prepare for the next day after day programs end at 3:00 p.m.
- Late Pickup Fee: IMSA day programs end at 3 p.m. Any parent/guardian picking up a child late will be assessed a fee of $15 per child for any pickup 15 minutes late and $1 per minute thereafter. Late fees are due on the child’s next day of camp.
- Residential program check-in begins at 6:00 PM on the Sunday before the program start date. The entrance will change based on which dorms the students will be in. Please make note of this in your pre-program email!
- Please plan on arriving to pick up your child between 1:45-1:55 p.m. the following Friday(the last day of the program). There will be a 30 minute program presentation/wrap-up starting promptly at 2:00 pm.
- We do not honor requests to pair or group friends or relatives during their class during the day; however, they will have the opportunity to mingle during common activities such as lunch and free time. Program participants are grouped at random to encourage a positive learning experience, meeting new friends while engaging in program activities.
- We DO take requests for roommates. Friends or relatives (of the same gender) can be paired as roommates if both parties request each other by sending an email to us a firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the program name and week offered, your child’s name, and the name of the child being requested as a roommate. We must receive this at least 10 days before the first date of your program to accommodate it.
- Your child will be assigned to a group leader who will be their same leader throughout the week.